Many of these events are not managed by CSIRO. Please check with the event organisers to confirm details.
Want to promote your Apollo 11 anniversary event? Let us know about it.
- This event has passed.
Canberra’s Moon Rock Trail
To celebrate the 50th Anniversary of the Apollo 11 mission, take your own voyage of discovery to see, touch and walk on the Moon!
Canberra is home to a collection of moon rocks on public display. Although they are all billions of years old, they were brought to Earth by Apollo astronauts only 50 years ago and you can experience them today.
Canberra’s Moon Rock Trail includes:
• the largest piece of Apollo 11 returned moon rock on display in the Southern Hemisphere, 147.25grams and 3.8 billion years old
• fragments of lunar rock gifted to Australia for our important role in the Apollo missions, along with Australian flags flown to the surface of the Moon
• your chance to walk across the face of the Moon on one of Canberra’s highest peaks
• for the first time in Canberra, a piece of the Moon that you can actually touch.
Start your voyage today. It will take you to:
- National Museum of Australia
- Geoscience Australia
- ANU Mount Stromlo Observatory
- NASA Canberra Deep Space Communication Complex, Tidbinbilla